I am currently developing simple database systems for our firm using Filemaker Pro with the end goal of deploying the system over the LAN coupled with some web forms and reports via PHP.
Our organization has a windows server 2003 as a webserver and 2003 for a fileserver which we host our current databases (SQL with ASPX). Our clients are mixed between windows & mac users.
We are switching from SQL/ASPX to Filemaker/PHP because as management we can easily create and deploy simple databases without relying on a full time in-house developer, Also we can create these databases on the Mac, which we are in the process of switching to.
The max number of employees that will be accessing the database will be around 50, but averaging 15-25 daily.
The databases are complete and working great locally on the Mac which they were created on. (5) Clients are currently accessing the databases via Filemaker Pro over the LAN using remote login. We would like to now deploy the database to all staff on a larger scale with:
- Fileserver to Access via FMP remote login (10 clients) Served using FMP server 9
- Webserver to Access via Intranet (10-20 clients) Using PHP
1. Can I successfully run the databases hosting the filemaker files + php webserver using a standard PowerMac G5 that is running OSX Leopard?
2. Do I need to buy OSX server instead?
3. What are the advantages of OSX server vs standard OSX?
I would like to avoid using the windows platform for the database if I can.
All your experts assistance on the above will be greatly appreciated.