This problem occurs about about a half dozen times each day. It has been going on for about 6 months. It started about the same time I had problems with Trend Messaging Suite for SMB 6.2, but those have gone away (a nightmare I won't explain), so it is probably a coincidence. Also this might be related to Outlook, MS Access, or X1 search engine, but have not been able to pin it on any of those.
It usually happens when I have a bunch of windows open.
The symptoms are very distinctive, with most of the following occuring most of the time.
* Internet explorer doesn't show the menu and navigation toolbar at the the top of the window.
* Nothing happens when I double clicking to expand a folder.
* Clicking the Start button doesn't do anything.
* Alt tab doesn't show the "Icon Summary" of open applications. Normally, when I hold down alt then type tab tab tab tab, this summary shows up to 3 rows of 6 icons representing open applications. But when things get broken, each alt tab snaps immediately to the next application without showing "icon summary".
* Sometimes alt tab does not do anything, but alt shift tab takes me to the previous task.
* When I right click on the explorer group in the windows task bar, nothing happens -- I do not get the submenu (the one that usually contains "Cascade", "Close group" etc.
* To get out of this weird mode, I have to close a few applications. I can't close them from the task bar, but I can close them by clicking the red X in window on the desktop.
Sometimes i will just close one explorer window out of 30 open windows and things will revert to normal and remain normal for hours. Other times I have to close most of the windows.
Sometimes I get messages about "not enough resources", but usually I do not get those messages.
Probably this is caused by a memory leak, but the Peak Commit Charge of 1,672,584 is well below the limit(3,510,932) and also below the Total Physical(2,095,472).
This is very hard to trouble shoot because closing 1 to 5 of anything fixes it. I haven't noticed a pattern with one particular application being open. But, this is not surprising because I normally have EVERY application open. (Excel, Outlook, Access, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, PDF)
This is mainly just an annoyance, so I haven't done much trouble shooting (other than my weekly virus scan and adware scans).
I'm hoping someone has had similar problems and figured out how to resolve them.