I involved in a rather large project where we plan on upgrading several thousand pages to use ssi for footer, header, nav etc. This is my first experience with this and I am trying to work through the details. A key element to this is that we must keep the .html file extensions.
1. I have read that by using XBitHack on statement on .htaccess file, this can be achieved and I have been told by our server admin that this has been done.
2. I created an ssi with a .html file extension (no html, body, header tags etc.)
3. I used Dreamweaver to insert SSI into about.html with this code: <!--#include file="../includes/leftnav.html" -->
4. Loaded page to testing server and the include does not show up
1. Do I need to save about.html as .shtml and then allow the parsing from .shtml to .html to take place at the server level?
2. Is there a way to test to see if teh server folk did things correctly
3. Any other ideas why this is not working?
Do I have to save teh existing