Avatar of suzanne2003
suzanne2003Flag for United States of America asked on

Transfer Terminal Server Licenses

I got a new server that has Windows 2003 because the old server had a hardware failure.  The server that I am using is both the terminal server and the licensing server (I know that this is not recommended, but there are only 5 local users and 1 remote user and cannot afford two servers).  How do I transfer the license from the old server to the new server?  I read Microsft's Tech net article that says that I should restore the server from backup.  Do I have to restore the entire server.  The OS came factory installed so it is not the same as the original.  I guess my questions is, is there any way I can just back up the portion of the server that I need to restore to the new server for the terminal server licensing?  We are changing out software as well during all of this, and would rather not restore all the old data back and then remove it if I don't have to.
Microsoft Server OSWindows Server 2003

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment

8/22/2022 - Mon

if you still have all the term serv paperwork you can simply reactivate them......

Have you tried activating the new server as the TS licensing server, and adding the licenses to it, or did this not work?

I have not tried anything yet.  I looked for the paperwork, but have not been able to find it.  Are there any other options?
All of life is about relationships, and EE has made a viirtual community a real community. It lifts everyone's boat
William Peck

no, the licencing is backed up as part of system state - you cant back up partial system state - (i cant remember the exact part which contains licencing)

So I will need to find the paperwork from when I first purchased it?  I will look again tomorrow and let you know.

probably your best solution  - oBdA is pretty good with licencing and TS - i can see if i can ping him if you cant find the paperwork
Get an unlimited membership to EE for less than $4 a week.
Unlimited question asking, solutions, articles and more.

Okay, I located the e-mail that I got from the vendor when I purchased them.  There is an authorization number and a license number on there.  Do I need to go to eOpen at Microsft and do anything or is this all I need?

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question

Great.  Thanks.