SBS 2003 exchange mailflow problem
Posted on 2008-06-09
SBS 2003 SP2 and Exchange SP1. 50 users all have outlook pop3 account to download and place the messages into their corresponding user mailbox. This setup even though not ideal worked great with Server 2000 with exchange. The network got upgraded with a new server running SBS 2003 with exchange. Ever since then emails are not working right( I am aware of SBS configuring outlook so exchange is default account) . If I email someone at the company a message, it does not appear until the user closes outlook and reopens or waits random amount of time. Then it shows. That only happens with outside email and not internal ones. The other strange thing is when I check a users email it will show only a few new ones, then all of a sudden without hitting send/receive the rest appear. I have enabled logging within outlook 2002 and noticed a lot of 'callbacks' throughout the log. No difference if I remove pop3 accounts and leave only exchange. The callbacks are still there every time in the log. I have ran the ICW wizard and enabled the pop3 connector, same result of errors. I ran the Exchange Best Practice Analyzer, it found an Active Directory and metabase discrepancy, "There is a discrepancy with the FQDN setting between AD and the metabase for SMTP instance 'Default SMTP Virtual Server on server." I aslo had "Link State not registered, SMTP Virtual Server does not support the X-LINK2STATE verb." I ran dcdiag, all passed except IsmServ service is stopped. I also spoke with the employees about when the problem started. All agreed that when the new server was online email issues began. I am leaning towards how the previous tech migrated the exchange information over to the new one but not sure.
One thing I forgot. When outlook connects with the pop3 server it generally times out but not always. Also when a user sends email via pop3 account or exchange (pop3 connector enabled) the outbox stays bold with the number of messages being sent until you click outbox, then it returns to normal and messages are sent.
I can post the outlook log if it will help.