• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 523
  • Last Modified:

SMTP Service causing Inetinfo.exe to utilize 100% of processor

I am running Exchange 2000 and yesterday the inetinfo.exe started utilizing 100% of the processor.  I tried rebooting the box, restarting IIS, removed Spam Filter.  All of these have not had a positive effect on the issue.  If I stop the SMTP service, the processor goes back to normal; however as soon as I start the service back up it jumps throught the roof.  ANY assistance would be much appreciated!  I looked at similar issues that were posted and it seemed that 3rd party filter software ended up causing the issue; nevertheless I have removed my 3rd party filter and continue to have problem.

Thanks
0
newexistence3
Asked:
newexistence3
  • 3
  • 2
1 Solution
 
greesh_hemCommented:
you need to do a reinstall of the SMTP Service. Obtain a tool called smtpreinstall.exe and double click it on that server , wait for few min and then it will come back with a message saying SMTP was installed successfully and then reboot your server and this will fix your issue.
0
 
newexistence3Author Commented:
I reinstalled the smtp service and rebooted the server.  This did seem to make a positive difference; however the inetinfo.exe process is jumping around now.  Instead of consistently staying at 100% it is jumping between 50 and 100%.  Any other thoughts on what to try out?

Thanks!
0
 
newexistence3Author Commented:
Looks like I spoke to soon.  It is back to 100% utilization consistently.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks
0
 
greesh_hemCommented:
If it is still jumping to 100% then this could be pointing to a major IIS metabase corruption which mean we would need to reinstall the IIS and then reinstall exchange with all the service packs and hotfixes as present currently but you also need to make sure that you take a backup of the exchange databases before doing any activity with the IIS.
0
 
newexistence3Author Commented:
I wanted to pass along an update.  I ended up contacting MS to see if they had any thoughts.  We ended up stopping antivirus,  IIS and all its dependent services (SMTP, IMAP4, etc).  We searched the queues and removed all the email waiting in the SMTP queue.  After removing these we started up IIS (and dependent services) and then antivirus services.  Inetinfo.exe was back to normal levels.  MS stated that they believed there was some corrupt mail in queue (which was an abnormally high level).  I was somewhat skeptical due to the hour at which the "fix" was performed (after business hours); however 24 hrs later I am still have a functional box with normal process levels.  Hopefully this will remain.  I also would suggest trying this to anyone experiencing similar issue.  
0

Featured Post

Visualize your virtual and backup environments

Create well-organized and polished visualizations of your virtual and backup environments when planning VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Veeam deployments. It helps you to gain better visibility and valuable business insights.

  • 3
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now