Windows Complete PC Restore (Windows 2008) can't access network location after successfully finding it (error code 0x80070043)
Posted on 2008-06-10
We're thinking of upgrading to Windows 2008 server. As part of the testing, I've been creating complete server backups (block based) using the built in backup tool, and have successfully recovered them as new installations on other servers, using external hard drives. Works a treat.
As our backup will always be accesible from a NAS box (as tape drive is not supported directly by Win 2008 backup) we would do recoveries from there if need be also. We don't have the NAS box yet, so to simulate the situation I have setup a standard Windows network share on a system that is not part of the domain, and the share is accessible to everyone. I have tested it, and it can be written and read from any computer. I made sure it was a non domain joined computer, as this created seperate errors.
So, I start up our recovery test server from DVD, and boot to the start of the install. I select 'repair my computer' and the option for doing a complete restore. I then go through the various hoops, till i get an option to locate the restore file on the network. I select this option, and then stipulate the share. It must find this as it asks for username and password, which I give it. This is where it fails. It states:
"An internal error occured. The following information may help you resolve the error:
The network name cannot be found. (0x80070043)"
No matter what I do to the share, it doesn't like it. Do I have to use a host name in the locating? It would seem it should be fine with the IP in my mind. I'd try using the host name, but it is an Apple Mac system that I'm not 100% sure of the Win host name it uses, assuming it has one (and it doesn't register anything in our MS DNS server, as it routes DNS queries straight to our firewall / edge router). I couldn't put the share on a Windows machine, as they are all part of the existing domain and the restore software doesn't like this identifying a 'computer trust account' issue, or such like....
I bring up the console from the main recovery screen, and ping the host that has the backup on it. All comes back fine.
Incidentally, the recovery (and the original backed up server) are both virtual machines running udner vmware. I don't see why this should be a problem, a it is clearly getting network access, but if anyone can shed light on this, I'd be really grateful!