Solved

Trying to configure sites and services correctly for DFS/R namespaces and replication

Posted on 2008-06-11
8
2,331 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-14
Hey there experts;

I'm the sole administrator at a company of 35 people located in 7 geographically dispersed sites. Our main office has a file server and our remote office (across the country) has another file server. I've set up DFS and DFS/R to maintain a current list of the network shares the company uses. I also have log on scripts set up to manually map our user's logon drives to the appropriate share (i.e., S: maps to \\mydomain.com\shared\share).

Here's the problem. Ever since setting this up, the drives connect just fine, but I notice that it's connecting half of my network drives to the local file server, and half of them to the remote server. Highly annoying. Manually browsing the namespace, however, seems to always connect to the local server.

I suspect this has something to do with AD sites and services, but I've never set it up and really have no idea how to do so.

Any thoughts...?
0
Comment
Question by:lamontc
  • 4
  • 4
8 Comments
 
LVL 48

Expert Comment

by:Jay_Jay70
ID: 21766149
in sites and services, create a new site (right click - new site)

under subnets, create a subnet for the appropriate site - assign it to the site you just created - done and done :)

do they have local DC's? or are they just DFS file servers?
0
 

Author Comment

by:lamontc
ID: 21766183
The remote site DOES have a DC. What's odd about it is that I went ahead and created a new site, created a new subnet, and linked the Intersite transports accordingly (default cost of 100). However, when I log into a workstation locally, half my drives still connect to the remote server while the other half connect to the local one.

Similarly, when I log into a remote workstation, half my drives connect to the local server, etc....there doesn't seem to be any logic to it. Any thoughts?
0
 
LVL 48

Accepted Solution

by:
Jay_Jay70 earned 500 total points
ID: 21766196
you need to drag your DC object into that site you have created (which it sounds like you have done)
http://www.block.net.au/help/AD-Sites/
Thats my guide on sites, it will get you going

As far as DFS goes, it might take a couple of reboots on the client machine to pick up the changes - point all DNS at each site to their local servers and you should start seeing some changes
0
Enterprise Mobility and BYOD For Dummies

Like “For Dummies” books, you can read this in whatever order you choose and learn about mobility and BYOD; and how to put a competitive mobile infrastructure in place. Developed for SMBs and large enterprises alike, you will find helpful use cases, planning, and implementation.

 

Author Comment

by:lamontc
ID: 21769282
Oddly, it's still hit or miss. I created the sites, assigned the appropriate subnets, and deleted all of the extra intersite transport links that I had created. I'm using only the default link, and it's assigned to all of the sites in my S&S snap in.

All of my sites have VPN connections through various WAN links; since they all have VPN connections (except for the LAN itself, of course), I've done no configuration of cost or replication schedule. I just left it there by default.

I'm not really sure how to proceed. I've logged into 4 different workstations and they all seem to connect some drives to the remote server and some to the local.
0
 

Author Comment

by:lamontc
ID: 21770685
I also ran the dfsutil/...showwin2ktable command on the DC in my local site. Initially it showed a Blob command with 0 sites. I ran /updatewin2ktable.... and then ran the display command again. After that it showed 2 sites.

I then cleared the PKT and SPC cache on my local machine, rebooted, and logged back in. Now the network drives are all connecting locally except for one. It's a royal pain in the neck.

Any thoughts?
0
 
LVL 48

Expert Comment

by:Jay_Jay70
ID: 21774751
none at all - the sites and services side of things i play with heavily, but DFS only a little :(
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:lamontc
ID: 31466439
Hey bud...

It worked. I don't know what changed...I guess it might have had some sort of replication delay...but it's working like a champ.

Thanks for the help!
0
 
LVL 48

Expert Comment

by:Jay_Jay70
ID: 21774850
woohoo! coz i was out of ideas! lol!

It would have been replication delay - Congrats man, nice work :)

James
0

Featured Post

Live: Real-Time Solutions, Start Here

Receive instant 1:1 support from technology experts, using our real-time conversation and whiteboard interface. Your first 5 minutes are always free.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article is an update and follow-up of my previous article:   Storage 101: common concepts in the IT enterprise storage This time, I expand on more frequently used storage concepts.
Finding original email is quite difficult due to their duplicates. From this article, you will come to know why multiple duplicates of same emails appear and how to delete duplicate emails from Outlook securely and instantly while vital emails remai…
This video teaches viewers how to encrypt an external drive that requires a password to read and edit the drive. All tasks are done in Disk Utility. Plug in the external drive you wish to encrypt: Make sure all previous data on the drive has been …
Microsoft Active Directory, the widely used IT infrastructure, is known for its high risk of credential theft. The best way to test your Active Directory’s vulnerabilities to pass-the-ticket, pass-the-hash, privilege escalation, and malware attacks …

786 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question