Exchange 2003 SP2 OAL Generator Error

I am trying to resolve an issue that's about six months old. Now that we are migrating our Outlook clients to Cached Mode this issue is causing more of a problem.

I am receiving the below two event viewer Application errors on my Exchange Server.

Event Type:      Warning
Event Source:      MSExchangeSA
Event Category:      OAL Generator
Event ID:      9341
Date:            6/13/2008
Time:            11:49:16 AM
User:            N/A
Computer:      UKSNT18
Description:
The parent Legacy Exchange DN container value '/o=UKS/ou=UKS/cn=Active Users/cn=HTFD' was not found during generation of the differential update file for offline address list '\Global Address List'.  This will force clients using this offline address list to do a full download of the offline address list.
- Default Offline Address List

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type:      Error
Event Source:      MSExchangeSA
Event Category:      OAL Generator
Event ID:      9360
Date:            6/13/2008
Time:            11:49:16 AM
User:            N/A
Computer:      UKSNT18
Description:
OALGen encountered an error while generating the changes.oab file for version 2 and 3 differential downloads of address list '\Global Address List'.  The offline address list has not been updated so clients will not be able to download the current set of changes.  Check other logged events to find the cause of this error.
If the cause of the problem was intentional or cannot be resolved, OALGen can be forced to post a full offline address list by creating the DWORD registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSA\Parameters\OAL post full if diff fails' and setting it to 1 on this server.  When OALGen next generates the offline address list, clients will perform a full OAB download.  After that time, the registry key should be removed to prevent further full downloads.
- Default Offline Address List

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reference to 'o=UKS/ou=UKS/cn=Active Users/cn=HTFD' is an old non-existent OU.
I tried recreating the OU and Rebuilding Offline Address list and still receive the same errors.
I ran OABinteg and I don't have anything listed for 'Total number of temp legacyExchangeDN's found'

I also reinstalled SP2

I have created the registry key for the full OAB download.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

 - Frank -

fmauriAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

rakeshmiglaniCommented:
after you created the registry key, did you try to do a rebuild of the OAB?
did you get any errors in the app logs after that?
0
fmauriAuthor Commented:
Yes, I had the same errors in the app log after the rebuild.
0
rakeshmiglaniCommented:
i had faced a similar issue at one of the clients during a migration from 5.5 to 2003.
adding the registry key and doing a rebuild resolved the problem.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
fmauriAuthor Commented:
I also migrated from 5.5 to 2003.  After your coment I checked the registry key and found out I had a typo, instead of the DWORD being 'OAL post full if diff fails' I entered it as 'OAB post full if diff fails'

After the correction I rebuilt the OAB and the errors are gone.

Yes, spelling counts.  Thanks - Frank -
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.