I'm getting the error message "SMS Distribution Manager failed to find or create the defined share or volume on the distribution point ___________ for distribution package ________. "
The solution suggest that I verify at least one NTFS drive with enough free disk space to store the package. Then, verify that the distribution point directory exists, has the proper permissions and is accessible.
I have plenty of space, approximately 84 percent of the drive is free, and that it is accessible. I've used SMS to send out 60 or so windows security patches but these last 8 won't distribute so that they can be installed on the client side.
Where else in SMS should I check for more information on how to remediate this problem? Has anyone encountered this problem before?
Here's an informational message from the advertisement viewer
"The program for advertisement ___ has not yet started because the content for the package ____ has not been acquired. Possible cause: The content for this program must be downloaded into the computer's cache, or the content could not be located.
Solution: If the program is being downloaded, no action is required. The program will start once the download has been successfully completed. If the content can not be located, ensure that a aditribution point with this content is available for this computer. Distribution point availability can be affected by roaming boundary configuration which is used to determine whether distribution points are classified as local or remote, or by enabling distribution points as protected distribution points. "
All of this makes sense since the distribution manager is saying that it can't process the package.
The Message ID from the Distribution Manager is Error 2324
Currently reading through "Troubleshooting Software Distribution" from TechNet
(Ctrl+F to "Package Creation and Distribution Processes"
Now reading through "Scenarios and Procedures for Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003: Planning and Deployment"...
...referencing for background information.
I've used the "no_sms_on_drive.sms" file/tactic to force SMS to a new server that I just created. Perhaps this will be a viable work-around, but I'd rather a real solution.
Created new distribution site on another server
Removed all other distribution sites
Re-assigned packages to new distribution site
Re-ran advertisements for packages
rebooting test computers to clear connections to servers or any packages they may already be trying to implement.
problem still exists.
digging through security logs, searching for any audit failures related to objects involved with SMS and remediating upon occurrence
The user/service account has FULL permissions to all the distrobution points.