Need Custom Built Desktop - Max Performance for given budget
Posted on 2008-06-14
Hello, I am a laptop person. IBM Tablet X41, T42P, T43. (2 GB RAM)
have decided to get a desktop/ or workstation? (any brand, self built, doenst matter)
1. I am planing to spend up to $1000.
2. use it mostly for business, no gaming. have usually the following 12-15 programs open at the same time on a daily basis:
2-3 x Excel, 3-4 x Word, Scottrade, 7x IE windows, Photoshop CS, Macromedia DW MX, Outlook 2007, Skype, Google Desktop, ActiveWords, Babylon (dictionary) and a few more (in my taskbar have sometimes over 110 processes running. Sometimes use Nero and other editing software to edit DVD videos and converting to various formats etc.
3. it has to have min 4GB RAM and be Quad-Core
4. i have already a 47inch LCD Samsung 1080 HDTV that i will use.
5. Tower size doesn't matter
6. will need a cordless keyboard (not sure if bluetooth is good, delay?)
7. have a 1TB MyBook Hard Drive Network Edition (Need maybe 500-750 GB HD built in)
8. have an External DVD burner (i don't mind to have one that is built in)
9. prefer if the machine is quite
10. have a brother Network Laser printer.
11. have Office 2007 Enterprise
12. using windows XP professional. thinking of going Vista if you suggest
13. Need min 3-4 USB ports
14. also use the pc often to watch DVD or movie files, or Netflix on the 47" LCD Samsung TV.
15. sound is not very important to me.
16. most important to me is fast startup, fast program startup, quick switch amongs programs, saving large photoshop files (100MB) etc given the internet speed.
Need your help to
a.) find me a website that has what I need for very low price. I need them to build it for me and ship it ot me to NY. I have enough PC knowledge to add extra hardware if you recommend me to buy some parts from different vendors.
b) tell me which combination of RAM, (latest )Quad-Core, HD type to experience the most NOTICEABLE performance within the given budget. Need to know what to select. Cache, MHZ etc, not sure with details like that.
best website i found so far is PCUSA.com
let me know if you have any other questions.