Exchange 2003 - Questions of Offline Defragment Planning
Posted on 2008-06-16
Server is Windows SBS 2003 SP2 + Exchange 2003 SP2
We need to reduce the file size of Private Information Store (46gb now). The store have some useless mailbox which used 15gb. We have 91gb free space on hard disk.
We planning to :
1) Use NTBackup to backup the information store files
2) Purge a mailbox which contain 15gb email.
3) Read Event viewer to confirm white space has been increased. (Should be increased 15gb)
4) dismount the mail store
5) Run: eseutil /d /p "c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" /t"c:\tempdfg.edb"
6) Mount it when offline defragment completed
7) file size of information store should be reduced 15gb
Is above steps and command correct?
How long does the offline defragment need? Someone said 1gb per hour, but someone said 4g, 5g, 9g
The time is depending on mail store file size or only the whilte space size?
We need to do repair after offline defragment ?