DB Migrate from AS/400 DB2 to SUSE Linux x8664 DB2 UDB
Posted on 2008-06-16
Database migration from AS/400 DB2 to SUSE Linux 10.2 x8664 DB2
1) We have DB2 on AS/400 mainframes. The schema has no foreign keys & check constraints. But
there are DEFAULT, PK, UK & Indexes.
2) Same schema bar a few tables will be created using converted to Linux specific DDL. Hence,
the column mapping will be little complex. Transformations are unlikely.
3) What are the best ways that data can be migrated from AS/400 DB2 to Linux DB2?
4) Consider both cases i.e. it is a one time migration OR there maybe repeated incremental
5) Both existing/source database in AS/400 and new/target database in Linux are/will be OLTP
ones & for some period both will be running with existing/new application connecting to them.
6) Will DB2 on AS/400 be much different than DB2 UDB on Linux? Are there any features that may
affect any route of migration?
7) In Linux, we can have shell scripts embedding DB2 scripts with error handling and scheduling
to do the job smoothly. What can there if migration is run/scheduled/controlled from AS/400?
This is unlikely though since AS/400 DB2 will be production one.
8) How will DB2Connect client/gateway i.e. server play a role in migration?
9) Can we use nicknames i.e. distributed computing to do migration? What are the pros & cons
10) There are 215 tables in all, 5 having 60-70 lakh records, 5 having 30-40 lakh records, 15
having 5-10 lakh records and most having less than 1 lakh records?
11) Client is unlikely to go for any migration/ETL tools except if existing DTS &
12) Please post links if required.