I am going to throw this out and hopefully you may have some ideas on what is causing the issue.
The issue is when a user attempt to save a powerpoint file to a network share.
Error message being produced by Powerpoint 2003 running on Win XP Pro SP2. Current on all patches (except SP3)
"PowerPoint can't access <filename> because the
file name is invalid"
Here is what I know so far:
1) Issue appears to be machine specific as oppose to user. Issue is encountered weather logged in as test user, or as admin
2) Not a permission's issue as same user can perform function on another machine to the same location.
2) Issue only appears in Powerpoint. Word, Excel, have no issues saving to same network location.
3) Powerpoint file can be saved locally first then to network with no issues.
4) Changing file name does not resolve error
5) Mapping drive vs UNC does not resolve issue
No patches have been applied to the machine that would even remotely relate to this issue from what I can tell. I have seen some reports recently with KB93366 but it appears to apply to XP SP3 workstations.
I did see some articles where CA real-time scan produced similar results when scanning network files but even when real-time is disabled on workstation error is still present.
Workstations are connected to LAN - no vpn involved.
Full permissions granted to shares
Word, Excel - no issues to same location.
Additional attempts made doing the following which did not resolve issue
What we've tried:
Disable Scan Network Drive
We've also followed the following KB to disable Oplocks in the reg. No help.
Followed the following KB and created a reg file to disable FileOpenBlock
and allow FilesBeforePowerPoint97, without success.
The following suggestion in this KB states to save it locally then later to
the network location. This is not a viable solution. We would rather find a
Thanks in advance. I appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.