• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1789
  • Last Modified:

Backup Exec upgrade from 10d to 11d resulted in Windows Server Remote Agent connection error

We just upgraded our Central Admin server (A) from Backup Exec 10d to 11d.  At the same time we upgraded the managed media server (B) to 11d.  After the upgrade, we did a push install to the remote servers being backed up to upgrade the Windows Server Remote Agent.  Everything upgraded without any errors.

Now, when jobs are pushed from the Central Admin Server (A) to the managed server (B) we get the following error message:

"Error category    : Resource ErrorsError             : e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer."

I have reinstalled the Agent, verified credentials, verified that the service is running (as well as restarted the service numerous times), reinstalled using the command line utility, and created a job from scratch.  All result in the same error message above.

any help in figuring out the issue here would be appreciated.

0
brett_apfc
Asked:
brett_apfc
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
ryansotoCommented:
I had the same issue.  I had to call Symantec support.  I ran through all the same steps as you but to no avail.
They had to work some registry hacks to make it work.
0
 
brett_apfcAuthor Commented:
Update:

If I configure a test backup from the managed media server (B) then run the test job from that server, the job will complete without any errors.  The Cenral Admin Server (A) still fails when any job is run from it using server B as  the media server.
0
 
brett_apfcAuthor Commented:
resolution (sort of):

After spending about 4 hours on the phone with Backup Exec tech support, we final got our backup jobs working.

Numerous things were attempted to solve the problem including manual installs of the client, verification of the beremote.exe file versions (same on CASO, MMS, and client server), live updates, etc.

the technician had me change the name of all "msgq000000000.dat" files located in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data directory on the CASO server.  After that we verified that on both the CASO and the MMS server the option to "enable selection of user shares" (Tools -- options -- network and security) was either enabled on both servers, or disabled on both servers (can't have 1 on and 1 off).

After these changes, all backups begain to work.  After further testing, we could not get the jobs to fail, even when changing the previous options to the way there were prior to changing them.  

I am pretty stumped as to the cause, or the actuall remedy other than just changing a setting and applying it making some kind of difference after the upgrade.  Regardless, the issue is no longer happening.

ryansoto -- Symantec support was part of the correct answer, so I'll award partial points to you.  Thanks for the comment.
0

Featured Post

[Webinar] Cloud and Mobile-First Strategy

Maybe you’ve fully adopted the cloud since the beginning. Or maybe you started with on-prem resources but are pursuing a “cloud and mobile first” strategy. Getting to that end state has its challenges. Discover how to build out a 100% cloud and mobile IT strategy in this webinar.

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now