Microsoft, Exchange 2003, SP2 - eseutil not compressing edb file
Posted on 2008-06-17
We have Microsoft Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed handling a single mailbox - it is the customer service e-mail for our business. The server is running Windows Server 2003 SBE. I have removed a lot of e-mail from the mailbox (several hundred thousand) by transferring them to a .pst file as a means to archive them. However, I have not been successful at getting the edb file to compress using eseutil. I usually clean the mailbox up like this every 12-24 months because it starts to slowdown response time at the clients when it gets over 12 Gigs. In this case I let is get to 14 Gigs but have not had any size warnings or mounting troubles. Here are the steps that I have taken:
1) Transferred the archive e-mails to a .pst file that has now been closed
2) Emptied the deleted folder on all computer that access the inbox (I deleted 10-20,000 emails that I did not want to archive)
3) Checked the ID 1221 log - it shows that I should gain about 4 gigs (current size is edb= 14.8 G stm = 34M - please note that when I run the best practices analyzer it does say that the entire store is 16GB)
4) Retention days are set to "0"
4) Run eseutil command as I have in the past (the text for the command with switches is cut and pasted from my notes - it has always worked before)
5) eseutil ran with no errors.... but the datbase did not shrink in size
6) I repeated this twice with the same results
I have now tried again after a restart and am getting a jcb.dll error. I have had something like this happen in the past and I believe that I got around it by turning off the switchin the eseutil command for making a backup copy automatically (I did though make a backup copy manually just before running eseutil). I cancelled out of the process because I did not know where to grab the jcb.dll from.
My original files are fine and I should have ample room for the backup and making more copies. I have not made any registry changes for DB size because it did not seem to be an issue - if you think I should change it to be sure, let me know the MS knowledgebase link and I will give it a try.