Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 286
  • Last Modified:

Exchange not delivering emails confirmed as downloaded using POP Connector

I have Exchange 2003 running on SBS R2. The POP Connector was working fine up until the last few days. The webmail it connects to is receiving and sending emails correctly. I just sent a bunch of emails to one of the POP accounts and refreshed the webmail page to see 4 emails (as was expected) in the Inbox. I ran the Retrieve Mail option from the POP Connector and they downloaded. But they do not appear in my Outlook mailbox as expected.

So this is what I checked. The POP Connector service was definitely running (as expected). The POP mailboxes are all routed to my domain user account's mailbox. There is nothing in any of the mail folders (Badmail etc) in my Exchange Server folder. I've just turned on logging and will continue to investigate, but wonder if any one recognises the problem from this description and can give a solution. Thanks!
0
AdoBeebo
Asked:
AdoBeebo
  • 8
  • 5
2 Solutions
 
0xSaPx0Commented:
If you see it in webmail (OWA) then it got delivered to the users mailbox. Check your Oultook config.

0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I see it in webmail on my ISP's mailserver, not on Outlook Web Access.
0
 
0xSaPx0Commented:
Since it was working, they configuration is most likely correct.

What has changed or been introduced into the environment in the past few days?
0
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
The only things I can think of that have changed are the introduction of a PC running Vista Business which I have logged into with the same domain account. It is currently switched off. The only other thing I did was just about an hour ago, to modify the Default Recipient Policy because it was setting the From email address as user@www.domain.com. I've edited the SMTP to just '@domain.com' now.
0
 
0xSaPx0Commented:
Modifying the recipient policy incorrectly could break the ability to deliver messages. Can you verify that each account has the correct email address associated with it?

You might switch the policy back to see if this resolves the issue. Have you been just popping mail for everyone?

Also if the recipient policy was incorrect I'm not sure how they ever got messages in the first place?
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
Attached a file, I've just seen this in ESM>Tools>Monitoring and Status>Status

I remember, I did also set Exchange to Native Mode, as it is the only server in the domain.

I tested setting the Recipient Policy back and applied the change, but it made no difference.

Everyone is on POP, there are only 2 of us :)
Exchange-Service-Stopped.JPG
0
 
0xSaPx0Commented:
Sounds like some services aren't running. Look in Services in Administrative tools for any service that is Exchange related with "Automatic" as the startup type that isn't started.
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
All Automatic are running, that are MS Exchange anyway. And SMTP is running.
I did edit my user account Exchange SMTP Settings in AD Users to show the email address as user@domain.com. It had been user@www.domain.com as you said it might be
0
 
0xSaPx0Commented:
Can you retry sending a test message now
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
Same problem. I've just seen two messages disappear from my ISP webmail inbox, but nothing appears in my outlook inbox
0
 
kieran_bCommented:
That is relatively common, the POP3 connector is a piece of junk, and not meant as a long term solution.

Run through this to see where it broke -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885685

Kieran
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
I'll check this article later when I'm back in the office - thanks for posting
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your help, I've split the points because you were both really helpful, but I need to weight kieran_b's answer as it might be useful for the next poor sap stuck with the POP3 connector
0
 
AdoBeeboAuthor Commented:
You were right it is a piece of junk. I powered down the server and booted it back up (why didn't I think of a restart) and as I was browsing for the article my mail started arriving. I think the link you've provided is good, as it is a useful article regardless, and I'm going to keep it bookmarked for next time it breaks, although I will reboot the server first :)
0

Featured Post

Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

  • 8
  • 5
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now