I've embedded a couple of media players (WMP and QT) into a webpage for playback via HTTP (from a normal web server). The problem is that when the page is loading, the media player starts playing the clip - I can hear the content (its audio only) - but it always stops after a few seconds. It stops at slightly varying times, but almost never plays for more than 2-3 seconds. One time when I opened up Firefox (restarted a session), it played for about 5-6 seconds. I can't see any buffering taking place and there is no error message.
The same thing happens with both Windows Media Player and Quicktime. On my local dev machine it all works fine. I have tried lowering the bit rate but to no avail.
Something seems to be interrupting the operation of the media player, or is preventing buffering. You can see it happening here: