This is getting old. This is the third system that has done this or something similar in the past few months.
Desktop PC has loads of bad guys that were removed. Had to use an external USB DVD/CD player to install scrubber programs. Figured that once all the bad guys were removed then the internal DVD/CD-RW units would show up on My Computer. Nope.
Did the following:
1. Checked Device Manager, only device seen is USB external DVD drive
2. Deleted upper and lower filters in registry control set
3. Uninstalled Sonic, Nero, and MyDVD applications
4. Went to Dell and tried to install firmware for both internal units, the install wizard claimed that neither unit was present
5. Replaced ribbon cable
6. Replaced one of the internal units with a known good spare
7. Upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro hoping it would drive some sense into it (pun intended)
8. Pulled controller connector from each internal drive, one at a time
Still cannot see either drive.