have just inherited an exchange server 2003 (sbs 2003 standard) customer.
What is happening is this
Up until 2 weeks ago, the system was receiving/sending email fine.
all of a sudden, email has stopped delivering to mailboxes.
logs from other server systems show OK delivery to the exchange box via smtp, however no email is making it into the mailboxes for each of the local users.
ALL OLD EMAIL IS VISIBLE AND ACCESSIBLE FROM OUTLOOK (EVEN VIA NEW PROFILE)
I have: (not necessarily in any particular order)
o Manual telnet to port 25 shows email being received fine for the domain
o updated it to Exchange SP2,(plus all the available windows updates)
o run and re-run the internet & email wizard
o increased the store size to 24GB (to remove any 16/18GB limitations),
o run offline defrag, backed up exchange database to clear logs (first thing I did),
o run the exTRA troubleshooter, fixed everything I found,
o chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk d: /r (d: holds the database)
o verified the event log for any red or yellow flags, with nothing obvious
o checked all hard disks for space
o recreated priv1 database file.
At this stage, all email coming in goes nowhere as in it dissapears. - I cant even send a local user an email from his own account - it shows up in sent items and not in inbox.
HOWEVER, under the mailbox store/mailboxes tab of the echange system manager, it shows that the mailbox has received an email, it just is not viewable via outlook/exmerge (EVEN with the new priv1 database)
exmerge does not export anything.
it *FEELS* like the server does not think it is responsible for the email domain, however that does not explain why the item count under the mailbox store/mailboxes tab of Sys mgr, increases when an email is received for the domain.
I have tried emailing to user@localservername instead of internet domain name, and it does the same.