• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 940
  • Last Modified:

Problems Syncing Sprint Mogul Windows Mobile Smart Phone to Exchange Server

Using "Sprint Mogul" Smart Phones with Windows Mobile and Active Sync to Sync with MS Exchange 2003 Server.  1 phone is giving a problem.  It just sits there and never completes the sync.  The error is that the server could not be contacted.  I have 3 other identical phones with the same windows mobile OS and the exact same settings in active sync and they work fine.  I hard reset the phone yesterday but it has the same issue.   I check for sessions in Exchange system manager on the IMAP server but I never see a session when the phone is trying to sync.  This phone did work fine for a long time and the issue started when the end user decided to try adding another account to the messaging section and that's when the issue started supposedly.  I also updated the Windows 2003 SBS to SP2 right around the time this problem started but like I said the other smart phones are still working fine so I don't think the SP2 update did anything to it.
0
jkockler
Asked:
jkockler
  • 4
  • 4
1 Solution
 
diperspCommented:
I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you verify the phone can hit the Internet?

If it can, try hitting your OWA page and make sure that works as well.  Also take note if you receive any certificate errors.
0
 
jkocklerAuthor Commented:
No certificate errors.  The phone does get to the internet.  How do I get the URL for my OWA page?  I thought it was just http://servername but I get a not authorized message when I do that.  I checked IIS and its set to grant all access.  
0
 
diperspCommented:
If Activesync is working on some phones, you should be able to hit your OWA site from the Internet.

Generally it's whatever your external IP is for your firewall/server followed by /exchange.  I imagine you have a DNS entry setup somewhere, similar to mail.domain.com for your users to enter on their phones.

Since you're running SBS 2003, also depends on whether you allowed this in the connect to the Internet wizard in SBS.  But try first from an internal machine and hit https://servername/exchange.  If that works, try https://externalIP/exchange or https://mail.domainname.com/exchange from a machine outside your network (Substitute mail for whatever DNS name you setup to point to your server.)
0
Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

 
jkocklerAuthor Commented:
OK, good stuff so far.  I was able to hit the OWA at all of the above addresses.  I even set up the sync on my palm treo with that user account and it worked fine.  
0
 
diperspCommented:
Now see if you can access /oma instead of /exchange.  Try it for a user that's working and for the user that's not working.
0
 
jkocklerAuthor Commented:
It works for the user that's not working on the phone.  I could not test anyone else because that first user is staying logged in.  
0
 
diperspCommented:
Sounds like everything is working as it should, especially if you did NOT receive any cert errors.  Try accessing the /oma page on the phone that's a problem now.
0
 
jkocklerAuthor Commented:
Turns out its a bad phone.  Sprint is sending a new one.  Thanks for you help !  Very informative.
0

Featured Post

Free tool for managing users' photos in Office 365

Easily upload multiple users’ photos to Office 365. Manage them with an intuitive GUI and use handy built-in cropping and resizing options. Link photos with users based on Azure AD attributes. Free tool!

  • 4
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now