I manage a small network running AD and am replacing the one and only DC on the network with a new server. It's been in service for 6 years and just needs to be retired. I need help with the Windows Server CAL's and how to manipulate the licensing on the network.
I have managed to get all of the server roles moved to the new hardware, transferred FSMO's, moved user files and profiles over successfully, set up DNS with AD integrated zones, and moved the TS Licensing server over to the new system. I have XP Pro clients ~80 or so and all is working like it should at this point...except for this issue.
I am having trouble with the proper way to move the job of Windows Server CAL licensing over to the new system. I still have the old system up and can go into the licensing console on the old system and view licensing purchases and clients that have licenses.
When I go into the Licensing console on the new system, there does not appear to be any Purchase History, but the licensing server icon on the Products View tab has the yellow exclamation warning that there needs to be some licenses added. I have tried to add the licenses to this console, but they end up on the old system, not showing up on the new server ( and obviously making a nightmare on the other old server with non-purchased licenses being added over and over ). I need some direction on how to delete what I have done to the licensing on the old system - tried to Delete the purchases from the "Properties of Windows Server" Purchase History but the system will not let me. And how to get the new system to handle the job so that I can pull down the old server.