Avatar of audiomatron
Flag for United States of America

asked on 

Exchange server 2003 mailbox store and public store crashes

Hi... oh where to begin..

I am running a server 2000 box as my primary domain controller, and server 2003 as a secondary DC. Also on the server 2003 box is my exchange server 2003. Last night I started getting all sorts of errors such as: (in no particular order)

Application Errors:

Background thread FDoQuotaCheck halted on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE2)" due to error code 0x80004005.

Process STORE.EXE (PID=3544). Topology Discovery failed, error 0x80040931.

Process MAD.EXE (PID=2796). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding:

Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported an error '0x80072020' when setting DS notification.

The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information.  The service could not be initialized.  Make sure that the operating system was installed properly.

Error 0X80040901 occurred while reading information for directory name (DN) CN=SMTP (EXCHANGE2-{D6F81B02-16A4-41B6-A0FD-24DCBB9ADF8F}),CN=CONNECTIONS,CN=DUNGAN ENGINEERING,CN=MICROSOFT EXCHANGE,CN=SERVICES,CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=COLUMBIA,DC=DUNGANENG,DC=COM from the directory. [MTA OPERATOR 23 38] (12)

System Errors:

The Security Account Manager failed a KDC request in an unexpected way. The error is in the data field. The account name was xxxxx and lookup type 0x0.

SMTP could not connect to the DNS server ''. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible.

The time provider NtpServer encountered an error while digitally signing the  NTP response for peer  NtpServer cannot provide secure (signed) time to the client and will ignore the request. The error was: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001F)

What it looks like is happening is for whatever reason, the exchange box stops being able to talk to the DC. this causes authentication problems domain wide. I have no idea what could be causing this. In addition, I get DNS server errors like this one:

The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020EF: SvcErr: DSID-0208017F, problem 5012 (DIR_ERROR), data -1090". The event data contains the error.

I thought this was maybe a time sync issue, but I made sure everything was configured correctly, an it is. I'm stumped! There are probably other errors, but there are so many to wade through.

Visual Basic ClassicWindows Server 2003Exchange

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment

8/22/2022 - Mon