Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Altek Employee
Altek EmployeeFlag for United States of America

asked on

IE7 preventing user from seeing some pages.

I have a user that can see some pages from a site and not others.  These pages are not secure pages but the user is getting a HTTP 500 error.  We downloaded Firefox3 and this does not have any issues with displaying all the pages.  I have reset all the advanced options to the default and reset the security settings to the default and this still did not correct the issue.  
The client machine is WinXP sp3.

Any help would be great.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of SheharyaarSaahil
SheharyaarSaahil
Flag of United Arab Emirates image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of Altek Employee

ASKER

Sheharyaar saahil,
I disabled all the Add-ons but still have the same issue.  The users are very busy and I did not have the chance to restart their computer in SAFE MODE w/networking.  I can try that later today around lunch time EST.  The user was able to access these pages in the past.  As a note the users computer was having issues with Office 2007. in order to fix the problem we found that the user profile was corrupt and we rebuilt her user profile.  At the same time we installed WinXP sp3 in an attempt to fix the Office issue.  The user did not report any issues until this morning, but said she may not of gone to any of the sites she is having an issue with today.

Thanks
rank1sttech
Proxy is unchecked -- Also this works in Firefox, proxy would hit both browsers.

Thanks
war1,
I tried all of your tips and none of them fixed the issue.  Thanks

Sheharyaar saahil,
I started the machine in safemode with networking and this did not resolve the issue.

Does anyone know if WINXP sp3 changes any settings in IE7 that would cause this to happen????
can you try creating a new windows uer account for test purposing and check there for the problem?
Avatar of rank1sttech
rank1sttech

What do you have for antivirus?  have you tried disabling popup blocker?  Sounds stupid, I know, but for some reason it takes something stupid to fix windows. :)  The other thing is that depending on the antivirus, it could be blocking active x controls.  Disable all antivirus/antispyware, windows firewall, and anything else that may be filtering.
rankfsttech:
I did do the antivirus disable and that did not correct the problem.  Also remember that it works with Firefox but not with IE7.
rank1sttech,

Did you add the website to Trusted Sites list?
war1,
I did not because other users, using IE7 can access this site without any problems.  If you think it will help with the troubleshooting then I will add the site.
Thanks
Yes, add the site to Trusted Sites list.  IE sometimes works with the website in Trusted Sites list.
Uninstall IE7, this will leave you with IE6, try with IE6.  If that doesn't work, uninstall IE6, download and run ccleaner.  Clean the registry and run the cleanup tool.  Reinstall IE6 via add/remove.  It sounds like a registry or dll file issue.  You can also try running "sfc/scannow" from command prompt.  This will scan for any corrupted or missing windows files.
Thanks for the assistance, I wanted a easy solution to this problem because the user and I really don't have the time to un-install and reinstall.  I have tried all the other solutions and nothing fixed the issue.  Thanks all for trying.
Tom