troubleshooting Question

free/busy not available from OL2003... sometimes (not for all mailboxes)

Avatar of mchkorg
mchkorgFlag for France asked on
ExchangeOutlook
7 Comments1 Solution745 ViewsLast Modified:
On a brand new Exchange 2007, W2K3-64 server and so on. No migration, Exchange wasn't in place before.
Outlook 2K7 clients are running fine
Outlook 2K3 *were* running fine.
One day, Outlook 2K3 users reported 2 problems :
1) they can't access free/busy info anymore, not for all users!
2) if they try to "open a shared calendar", they get the same message "Unable to display the folder. The Calendar folder could not be found" (in french, but we don't care).

=> I didn't change anything to this server (the less I touch it, the better). I tried to reboot it - just in case.
This problem sounds like a "public folder" problem, but my public folder DB is mounted and seems good. Compatibility for OL 2003 "old" clients as been activated at installation time (and is still activated).

Moreover, O2K3 users see some user's free/busy, but not for all users. Nothing that reminds me of a difference between users (all declared the same way, via automatic scripts).

Other things I've tested:
- I read on some websites that moving the faulty mailboxes to another mailbox database could help. It didn't.
- I created a new account, it can't access some user's free/busy information, too, same message
- O2K3 users can't access this newly created account neither.
- I used a new windows session (new profile on a computer) with an "old" existing exchange mailbox, it does not change anything - still working strangely (so not related to the XP local profile)
- I checked the public folder integrity (eseutil /g), alright.
- I've connected via the OWA with some of the faulty mailboxes. The calendar seems ok.
- It doesn't seem to be a translation problem, I thought of it when I saw "calendar" and "Calendrier" (french), but I've changed the language setting and checked some option to translate the name (I don't remember exactly), no effect, again.
- I deleted the ost file in my profile, to be sure. No effect :(

=> so the problem is related to something in the mailboxes database, not on client side and does occur for O2K3 clients only.

I really don't understand :(

Thank you
Join the community to see this answer!
Join our exclusive community to see this answer & millions of others.
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
Join the Community
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros