I mangled my account - I deleted the AD account. I then created a new account with the same name, I selected to create an Exchange mailbox. At that point I realized that my old Exchange mailbox was still there and I disconnected from the new one and reconnected to the old one. I then ran the cleanup agent and everything worked great. Outlook attaches to the mailbox just fine. If I try OWA when I'm logged into the domain at work I get to it just fine: http://server/exchange
takes me right to my email. When I try OWA from outside: http://mail.domain.com/exchange I get HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized after 3 attempts.
Other accounts work just fine outside by logging in with "domain\username". My mangled account does not.
I've seen other posts about having an SMTP address - I do.
OWA is enabled in my account's AD, Exchange Features.