Hi, This morning 29/9/08 through the windows update I downloaded the driver update dated 29/09/08 for Realtek RTL 8110 onboard Lan on the Gigabyte MB as descrived above. THe driver installed and appeared to have no issues. This computer is networked through a switch and goes outside by way of a Motorola SBG900 cable modem. Whilst working on another pc i noted that my internet conection was dropping and then returning, after checking the modem i could see that it was powering off and then restarting. I decided to ring my ISP and their cross checking ( the connection lost over 30 times in 2 hours) and mine concluded that the modem was faulty and should be replaced. This seemed strange that it should have failed but i thought it must be so. I at this time unplugged and removed from the network the updated pc and turned off the modem. My nextdoor neighbors have a wireless network that they have allowed me to use before so I plugged a usb wireless key and performed a site survey to connect to their signal, for whatever reason possibly the weather I could not gain a good connection. I disabled the network connection on the pc i was using and unplugged the ethernet cable from the SBG900 modem and connected to the modem wirelessly, after an hour of continuous connection I started to consider that something was unusual as the modem was not cycling as it had before. I connected the lan cable and then disabled the wireless key the connection stayed consistent with no drop outs or power cycling. I sensed that the pc with the driver update as described above was the culprit, I plugged it back into the network and then repowered the pc, almost instantly the modem rebooted and the connection was lost. I then rolled back the driver and restored the pc to the point prior to the driver update and then rebooted. It has now been 5 hours and there is no sign of the modem or connection failing or rebooting.