Active Directory Schema Master FSMO Role Question
Posted on 2008-09-30
Here's the situation...
- We have an Active Directory Forest that is operating at the Windows 2000 functional level.
- The Forest Root Domain, DOMAIN1.COM, is operating at the Windows 2000 mixed functional level.
- DOMAIN2.COM, is part of the same forest, and is operation at the Windows 2000 native functional level.
- The trust between the domains is a Tree Root transitive trust.
- All the Domain Controllers of DOMAIN1.COM reside in SiteA, and all of the Domain Controllers of DOMAIN2.COM reside in SiteB which are linked.
- Because the administrators of DOMAIN2.COM are migrating to Exchange Server 2007, they require the Schema Master FSMO role to reside on a domain controller that is running Windows Server 2003 SP1.
- Currently, the Schema Master FSMO role resides on a Domain Controller in the DOMAIN1.COM domain which happens to be a Windows 2000 Server.
- Currently, there are no Windows 2003 Server Domain Controllers in the DOMAIN1.COM domain.
- Is there any problem/issue with transferring the Schema Master FSMO role to a Domain Controller in DOMAIN2.COM (obviously running Windows Server 2003), even though DOMAIN1.COM is the Forest Root Domain?
- OR Is there any problem/issue with building a new Windows 2003 Server as a Domain Controller for DOMAIN1.COM in SiteB (Where there are all DOMAIN2.COM Domain Controllers and no DOMAIN1.COM Domain Controllers currently), and transferring the Schema Master FSMO role to that new Domain Controller?
- OR any better suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your help. Please let me know if I'm leaving anything out of the picture, or if you have any other questions.