Mac Mini to Sharp Aquos HDTV by DVI to HDMI: Issues w/ Display
Posted on 2008-10-01
My Mac Mini worked fine for 6 months connected to my 46" Sharp Aquos HDTV via a DVI (out from Mac Mini) to HDMI (into tv) adapter and a HDMI cord to one of the tv's two HDMI inputs. Resolution and picture were perfect...
Coincidence or not, after power went out due to a lightening storm, the display stopped working. I get either no display at all or a red tinted fuzzy display of my desktop image. I tried a bunch of different things:
1) I tried connecting the cable box HDMI output into the HDMI input where the computer went in and it didn't work so I assumed the whole issue was wit hthe tv so I had Sharp replace the input board on the tv. But now the cable HDMI output works fine in both tv HDMI inputs... but the computer still doesn't work with either tv input.
2) I replaced the DVI to HDMI adapter (monster cable) - didn't work.
3) I tried jiggling the DVI to HDMI adapter connection into the Mac Mini. This actually allowed me to get a more consistent red/fuzzy display (versus no display) that allowed me to click through the Mac Mini's resolution settings.
4) I tried every resolution option the Mac Mini has and none worked. They made the size of the display bigger or smaller but the same red/fuzzy screen remained. I know at least the Mac Mini recognizes the Sharp tv because the name "Sharp" is listed in the display option settings.
5) I tried my Mac Mini on neighbor's Pioneer HDTV and everything worked perfectly with my same HDMI cords as well as different HDMI cord and DVI to HDMI adapter.
6) Tried my computer on another neighbor's Sharp Aquos tv via HDMI and I get the same red fuzzy screen on his tv as my Sharp.
7) Tried Mac Mini on another neighbor's Panasonic plasma by HDMI and got a completely unrecognizable display.
8) I ran out of neighbors
#5 made me think it was the tv but #6 makes me think it's some internal display issue in the Mac Mini that makes the display funky to Sharp HDTV's in particular.
I'm not sure what to do now. Anybody experience this before?
As mentionied, the Mac Mini worked beautifully right "out of the box" with the same Sharp Aquos for several months and one day stopped working - so I know it can work.
Thanks for any suggestions (the simplier the better since I'm not tech saavy).