I am really struggling trying to configure RPC over HTTP for Outlook 2003 with an SBS2003 Server - Its driving me nuts!!!
I have listed below the process and information I have gone through to get where I am and I am hoping someone can help. I have looked at various white papers and step by step guides but to no avail - HELP!!
(Please note I will be out for an our or two after I have posted this so I will be able to reply ASAP when I return)
PROCESS SO FAR:
Firstly - On the SBS CEICW I seleted the relevant options and created a new certificate as WWW.MERSEY.COM
(have tried with and without the www) and finished the wizard.
I have tested the RPC connection according to Microsofts document - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb124175(EXCHG.65).aspx
from the laptop I am trying to connect with AND I have installed the certifcate so I no longer get the certificate error on the laptop - the RPC connection works as expected.
On the same client machine - A laptop working remotely (i.e. from a remote office with a broadband connection) I have the following:
Selecting the account in outlook - which has been configured to an exchange server and works fine withing the network conecting directly to his mailbox - the Exchange Server settings are:
Microsoft Exchange Server is: main-server.KeenProducts.l
User Name: A J Peters
Both items have an underscore which I assume means they are valid
More Settings - Security - the option for Encrypt Data has been ticked
Connections Tab - Exchange Proxy Settings -
Use this URL to connect to my proxy server is set to: WWW.MERSEY.COM
(have tried with and without the www)
Connect using SSL is ticked - as is the Mutually Authenticate the session and in here we have:
(I have also tried just main-server with no joy)
On fast and slow networks are both ticked (As I believe this is an acceptable setting)
and proxy authentication settings are set to:
(I have also NTLM Authentication)
When i restart outlook and click send recieve after a short delay (Where data appears to be sent) i get the error -
Task - microsoft exchange server reported error (0x8004011D) the server is not available.
which seems to be quite a generic error and i cannot find any definitive resolve for.
As a point of interest I have tried the setting this up for another customer with the same result so it would seem that I am doing something wrong.
I hope someone can help as this simple task seems to be an endless problem.
Thank you and Regards