Sudden ping destination host unreachable on 2003 server
Posted on 2008-10-02
We have a 2003 sp2 server set up as a print server ("w3"). It was working fine this morning with the exception of one printer. The server was rebooted (it did show that a MS patch was applied and update required). After reboot we cannot ping in our out to server w3.
On further investigation, the server has lost the ability to connect:
- 2 network cards on w3 server, both behave the same
- Setting network connection to dhcp will obtain an ip address from dhcp server
- Manually changing the IP to static address will change the ip address
- If you ping the w3 server from another server by the dns name, the IP address associated reflects the changed IP address. However, ping returns request time out. Pinging by IP address also give request time out.
- doing a ping to self on w3 server returns correctly.
- can do looptest on w3 server.
- doing a ping from w3 server to another server returns "Destination host uncreachable" as opposed to request timeout.
The patch that was applied was kb948496. We uninstalled it.
Any suggestions as to what to try would be greatly appreciated. Everyone is needing to print...