I am going to try and explain this as best I can. I have seen this issue before, I have applied the fix, but never really understood technicall why it occurs. This time around, I need your help to understand why the following has occured.
I have a terminal server running Windows 2003 Server. This server has a dual BroadCom NIC. The primary card has been enabled since day one; the secondary card is disabled and all it's services. Today, after running for 2 years, the primary NIC stop working. From a workstation, if you ping the IP Address - it replies timed out and every so often it replies.
* The server was rebooted, and nothing happened. Same thing.
* We unconfigured the static IP Address and disabled that card.
* Enabled the secondary card and reconfigured it with the static address from the primary. Right away, the system responds with "Duplicate IP Address". We rebooted the system again, and same message.
* We checked the primary card to make sure it does not have that IP Address taken. And it did not.
* We reenabled the primary NIC and it got an IP address dynamically from the DHCP server... BUT, that IP would not respond from any workstations, nor could we connect to it.
So, we decided, that NIC is dead. On the secondary NIC, we again tried to put the orginal IP Address and we still got "IP Address Conflict". We enabled DHCP, it received and IP Address, and we were able to connect to that server. But we needed the original IP or we would have had to change the connection settings on all the PC's.
Once my level II tech explain the situation to me, I knew right away how to fix it... Here's what I did, but I don't understand why it fixes it...
* Enabled the original NIC.
* Allowed it to get a DHCP address.
* Then disabled it, and renabled it and statically entered the ORINAL IP ADDRESS.
* Then renable DHCP - and at this point is where the error went away.
* I permanently disabled the primary card and configured the secondary NIC with the original IP Address.
So some how, the primary NIC was locking out the original IP Address?