Solved

How do I save and read umlaut characters with DetailsView in Visual Studio?

Posted on 2008-10-06
4
227 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-26
I'm fairly new to developing in Visual Studio and have run into a problem using DetailsView writing text to SQL Server 2005.

When editing text and saving, characters like ö (o with umlaut) are changed. The character ö becomes ö in the database and when read back into DetailsView.

If I use SQL Server Management Studio to write the character into the database field it is not changed, i.e. it is correct also when read into the DetailsView control. My problem only occurs when saving from the DetailsView control.

I'm sure there's a simple solution to this but I'm stuck, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0
Comment
Question by:MikaelNystrom
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 25

Assisted Solution

by:Luis Pérez
Luis Pérez earned 500 total points
ID: 22648027
Mmmm... I guess that the problem is about the encoding that you are using for you web site. Check the globalization setting in your web.config; it's located inside the system.web element. Check that looks like this (or change if not):

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" culture="en-US" uiCulture="en-US"/>

Of course, replace "en-US" with your correct culture if you're not located in United States.

Then, try again to save the data to your database.

Hope that helps.
0
 

Author Comment

by:MikaelNystrom
ID: 22648154
Thanks for the suggestion. I added:
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" culture="sv-SE" uiCulture="sv-SE"/>

Sorry to say, it didn't help...
0
 
LVL 25

Expert Comment

by:Luis Pérez
ID: 22648313
Can you post the source code of the page that contains the DetailsView control? Not the source code page from Visual Studio, but the source code of the page once it's rendered to internet browser (in IE it's obtained by going to View -> Source code menu option).
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
MikaelNystrom earned 0 total points
ID: 22648434
I got it to work! Turns out that to save utf-8 in SQL Server I have to use nvarchar (I was using nchar).

Many thanks for your suggestion. I actually didn't have the globalization setting in web.config, so that was a useful thing to add anyway.
0

Featured Post

Master Your Team's Linux and Cloud Stack!

The average business loses $13.5M per year to ineffective training (per 1,000 employees). Keep ahead of the competition and combine in-person quality with online cost and flexibility by training with Linux Academy.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This document covers how to connect to SQL Server and browse its contents.  It is meant for those new to Visual Studio and/or working with Microsoft SQL Server.  It is not a guide to building SQL Server database connections in your code.  This is mo…
Real-time is more about the business, not the technology. In day-to-day life, to make real-time decisions like buying or investing, business needs the latest information(e.g. Gold Rate/Stock Rate). Unlike traditional days, you need not wait for a fe…
The Email Laundry PDF encryption service allows companies to send confidential encrypted  emails to anybody. The PDF document can also contain attachments that are embedded in the encrypted PDF. The password is randomly generated by The Email Laundr…
Finds all prime numbers in a range requested and places them in a public primes() array. I've demostrated a template size of 30 (2 * 3 * 5) but larger templates can be built such 210  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7) or 2310  (2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11). The larger templa…

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question