I work in one of the largest financial institutions in Denmark, in BI/Datawarehouse development. Currently we use Datastage XE as ETL tool. The licenses are soon to expire. I participiate in an evalution process, where the options are to upgrade the Datastage to EE or change to Informatica 8.6 or Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services. Are there anyone out there that have had the oportunity to work with (or evaluated) two (or all) of these, and could give me some key points for consideration?
DB2 on mainframe (Business systems and EDW/Datamarts)
Oracle (Business systems and Datamarts
Current ETL tools:
Datastage XE (Mainframe and Server)
Informatica 7 (limited use - for Siebel only)
Hyperion + others
- Our EDW is a 2nd generation EDW (Bill Inmon) where information from various companies (our own banks, property loans (direct loans and through partner banks), insurance, property trade, currency and stock trade etc.) is or will be stored.
- Between the EDW and the Datamarts is a legalization layer to separate information where legal requirements dictates it. Also, between the EDW and the Datamarts is a physical Distribution layer.
- We also use LAMP (Linux-Apache-My SQL-PHP) We use Oracle instead of My SQL
- Datastage XE wiil no longer be developed/supported by IBM. Porting to Datastage EE means rewriting all ETL jobs. Therefore, we expect to have to rewrite no matter what tool we select.
- Due to our type of business, the requirements for data quality is high. Built in Data quality handling in the ETL tool would be an advantage.
- The tool have to be able to read/write DB2, Oracle and Essbase.
I would appreciate it
- if you have worked with (or evaluated) two (or all) of these, and could give me some key points for consideration.
- have practical experience in reading/writing to DB2 and/or Oracle and/or Essbase
Thanks a lot for your time