Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Specified Domain Does Not Exist or Could Not Be Contacted

Posted on 2008-10-06
7
Medium Priority
?
567 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
Platform: Windows Small Business Server 2003

Problem: Suddenly this morning after a reboot of domain controller no clients can access Outlook or the Internet.

It seems to be DNS related but I'm very confused.

The servers NIC is configured to a static IP.
The primary DNS server is the servers IP address.
In DNS, there are two forwarders to opendns.org's dns service.
At the server I cannot access any external website but I can access the Outlook Web Access page using its local address.

No clients can access or even ping the server address.

To troubleshoot the problem, on my client I added a secondary DNS server to match opendns.org's address (208.67.222.222). Once I did that I could access the web no problem on my computer.

On my computer if I do an "nslookup google.com" it times out trying to query my DC (primary dns) but then works fine after querying the secondary dns.

To test the server, I tried dumbing it down, I...
- disabled the DNS server service
- Changed my primary DNS server from itself to the opendns.org address
- did an ipconfg/flush dns
- disabled and enabled the local NIC

I figured that since the above settings worked on a client , it should work on server at least just to test DNS, but it still fails exactly the same way. The server itself doesnt seem capable of querying any external DNS servers. I tried a few different DNS servers- they all fail.

I've called Microsoft support, but Im hoping EE can save me before they call me back.

Right now we're dead in the water.
0
Comment
Question by:waltb123
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
  • 2
7 Comments
 

Author Comment

by:waltb123
ID: 22652362
by the way, nslookups of any local domain computers work fine at the server, just external sites fail.
0
 
LVL 19

Expert Comment

by:MrLonandB
ID: 22652472
Were there any Windows updates or A/V updates applied to the server at about the time the problem began?
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:kukno
ID: 22652564
Hi,

I bet your Server lost it's default gateway...

what's the output of "route print" ?

Regards
Kurt
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 

Author Comment

by:waltb123
ID: 22652734
MrLoonandB,
I did notice and was a little concerned about an event viewer log listed below

Event Type: error
Source: crypt32
ID: 11
Description: Successfull auto-update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from:
<http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

When I saw that, the first thing I checked was an nslookup of windowsupdate.com (this was before reboot that totally brought down server) and the results were 208.111.160.135. I checked that IP on ARIN.NET and was surprised to not see Microsoft as the owner- instead it was "Limelight Networks". I dont know if thats ok or not, but did alarm me.

kukno, I'm not sure what you mean.
0
 
LVL 19

Expert Comment

by:MrLonandB
ID: 22652805
Check in add/remove programs and see if the update successfully installed. If so, might suggest uninstalling and rebooting the machine. If that corrects the issue, we can move forward on finding the problem with the update.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:kukno
ID: 22652833
I mean routing. Does your server know the default gateway on the network?

Just post the output of "route print" (in a DOS box).

Regards
Kurt
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
waltb123 earned 0 total points
ID: 22652924
I think I figured this out.

The SysVol folder on the server had inadequate permissions. After adding "Authenticated Users" with read and execute permissions, all seems to be ok.

Of course, Microsoft calls me back just after I fix it  =)

Thanks for the assistance.
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

The Need In an Active Directory enviroment, the PDC emulator provide time synchronization for the domain. This is important since Active Directory uses Kerberos for authentication.  By default, if the time difference between systems is off by more …
An article on effective troubleshooting
Michael from AdRem Software explains how to view the most utilized and worst performing nodes in your network, by accessing the Top Charts view in NetCrunch network monitor (https://www.adremsoft.com/). Top Charts is a view in which you can set seve…
In this video, Percona Solutions Engineer Barrett Chambers discusses some of the basic syntax differences between MySQL and MongoDB. To learn more check out our webinar on MongoDB administration for MySQL DBA: https://www.percona.com/resources/we…

618 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question