Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 884
  • Last Modified:

Windows 2003 computer browser service getting changed to disabled on DCs

I have the Computer Browser service on on on my two domain controllers, but somehow the service is getting disabled approxiamtely every 24 hours.  I have to go into the Service MMC, turn it back to automatic from disabled, then turn if the service back on.  What could be causing this?  
0
RobertSeattle
Asked:
RobertSeattle
  • 4
  • 2
1 Solution
 
PberSolutions ArchitectCommented:
Check your event logs.  That might indicate why it is stopping.
Also check group policy.  You might have a GPO that is controlling the service.  DC GPO's are processed every 5 minutes by default so I would suspect if it was GPO, it would be disabled sooner, but default behavior may have been changed.
0
 
PberSolutions ArchitectCommented:
You may also want to turn on detailed logging in WINS, it may help troubleshoot the issue:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775732.aspx 
0
What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

 
RobertSeattleAuthor Commented:
Doooo...

I had the Browser Service set to disabled in my default domain policy, but then I have it for automatic for My Defaylt Domain Controller Policy, but while I was checking the setting I noticed the Default Domain Controller Policy had the "Enforce" option unchecked.  I must have been editting some policies and inadvertently unchecked the "Enforced" option.  Perhaps Microsoft should make it a little more obvious when a policy isn't being enforced!  
0
 
RobertSeattleAuthor Commented:
Maybe I don't have the right type of logging on, but I didn't find anything in the System logs that said something like "Computer Browser service being turned off based on Policy XYZ:" - that would have been nice to see any made figuring this out much quicker.  It was just getting disabled with nothing mentioned in the logs.
0
 
PberSolutions ArchitectCommented:
The event logs won't show that directly.  You might see a SceCli event in your Application event log that the time corresponds to the Service Control Manager event for the browser service stopping.
Using GPResult or RSOP.MSC to troubleshoot.  RSOP.msc is nice as it will show what policy set which setting.
 
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 4
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now