I have a severe virus on an xp laptop.
- Task Manager disabled
- Start>Run disabled
- My Computer disabled
- Regedit disabled
-'Virus Alert!' appears in task bar where system clock should be.
- tries to launch 'player.exe' from user%\application data (i've deleted this file)
so far i have taken the following steps:
- booted up in safe mode
- turned off system restore
- ran ccleaner
- ran adaware
- ran spybot s&d
- ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- ran Super Anti-Spyware
- browsed folders and registry for related 'xp antivirus' and 'micro antivirus 2008' files
- checked regkey to restore time format tpo hh:mm:ss
this has removed a lot of the spyware but not any of the above symptoms.
grateful for any help as i really dont want to have to rebuild teh machine.