Message lost after being submitted to Categorizer in Exchange 2003

Posted on 2008-10-08
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-11-30

We are using Exchange 2003 SP2.

An external organisation is trying to send us an email (with attachments) but it is not being received. I checked our SMTP Gateway, and the message is being recieved and handed to Exchange.

On Exchange, I checked out Exchange Message Tracking, and the message seems to be untraceable after the following entry;

SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer

Does anyone know what this means and how I can find out what is happening to it?

The attachment types are just usual xls files and not being blocked by our AV on Exchange. The recipient list is a Distribution Group; group@mydomain.com

Any ideas?


Question by:bruce_77
  • 4
  • 2

Author Comment

ID: 22669333
Sorry, should have mentioned, we have multiple domains, but one Exchange organisation.

Mail flow is like this;

INTERNET > SMTP Gateway > Exch1.us.company.com > Exch2.uk.company.com

The message is being lost at Exch1.us.company.com

The Distribution Group that the mail is being sent to was created on a uk.company.com DC, could this be AD related? I understand that the Categorizer is responsible for directory lookups?

Any ideas?
LVL 31

Expert Comment

ID: 22669969
This nearly always means that the message has been diverted by some kind of application using an event sink.  I know you said it's not the AV, but it will be something like that.  IMF, or some other kind of spam filter.

Author Comment

ID: 22874272
It seems to be that if the message is sent to a DL, then it gets caught in the categoriser, but if the message is sent to the recipients listed explicitly, then it gets through.

The DL works fine internally....I am in the process of creating a new DL and asking them to test, but any idea why this would happen?
SMB Security Just Got a Layer Stronger

WatchGuard acquires Percipient Networks to extend protection to the DNS layer, further increasing the value of Total Security Suite.  Learn more about what this means for you and how you can improve your security with WatchGuard today!

LVL 31

Accepted Solution

LeeDerbyshire earned 2000 total points
ID: 22875892
This happens when a DL has no members; which seems strange, since you say it works internally.  I think you should check that the DL you are using externally is the same one that you are using internally.

Author Comment

ID: 22913273
Found the answer - the problem was the DL was a global group.

The first Exchange server the messsage reached on our server was in a different domain, hence effectively had no members!

Cheers for the help!

Author Comment

ID: 22913274
Sorry for anyone reading this in the future, the fix is to change the group to Universal. That way, group membership is replicated to other domains in the forest.

Featured Post

Keep up with what's happening at Experts Exchange!

Sign up to receive Decoded, a new monthly digest with product updates, feature release info, continuing education opportunities, and more.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

Join & Write a Comment

Here is a method which can be used to help resolve a "Content Index Failed" error on a Microsoft Exchange Server.
Configure external lookups on for external mail flow on Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016.
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
In this video I will demonstrate how to set up Nine, which I now consider the best alternative email app to Touchdown.

597 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question