User recently updated system to SP3 and then noticed that they could not print any more. The spooler is still in the services, I can start and stop it with no ill effects. The entries are in the registry as well and I can see all of the printers and their respective settings inside windows Printer and Faxes.
Things I have done not necessarily in this order but close to it.
Backed up spooler portion of the registry, and copied over the registry from another working computer. I reinstalled drivers for various printers. I did a lot of research on the net at this point and saw a suggestion to replace the unidrv.dll file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\
2x86\3 folder from the SP2.cab file in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386. Followed instructions to a T and this did not work either. I did some more research and spoke to another collogue about this, and they did some research as well, and saw a post on another forum about Adobe Shockwave being a suspected program. I found the uninstaller from the adobe site, and ran it. Again this did not help. Getting a little discouraged I decided to uninstall SP3 from the system since this was the last update that was installed. Back at SP2 the problem persists still.
All printers are network printers and all other computers are able to print to them with the same settings as the one computer with the issues. Attached is a picture of three different printers within the Printers and Faxes menu. All of which are of a different make. The printer to bring this issue to mind is the HP LaserJet 8000 on the right. This was why the problem was brought to my attention because it is the default printer. With a little bit of digging I realized that NO printer could print. Another printer I tried which is the newest there is the Kyocera KM 4050 KX. I have reinstalled these printers among others and overwrote the drivers with no luck. The last I have listed is the kicker in my opinion. Adobe PDF, yes that is correct I can NOT even print to a PDF file. Each error is displayed above or below the printer to indicate each error with those three.
Also when going through the system, I questioned the user about when SP3 was installed, and it was stated around the end of last month around Sept 29 was when this was conducted. I know SP3 makes a restore point in the Windows System Restore. I did not see any note of SP3 or any other updates being installed for well over a month on that system. Yet from the things I attempted on the system I had a slew of entries on today date.
I do not have the system in front of me as the user still needs to use it. I can get information and try possible solutions, but response and information gathering might be a bit delayed from the time I receive anything.
Thanks for your assistance.