ANSI/ TIA /EIA-568-B standart guides

Hi gys i hope everybody is doing fine well I want to know where i can get information on how to wire comercial building i have research also i'm attending school linch tech in nj in a program call EST  this program is about lowervoltage  well so far i have learn a few things i'm doing very good have pass all my exam but iwant to find information codes also about ANSI/ TIA /EIA-568-B  for what read is about standard ways of installing cables in commercial building  can anyone help or directme wher i can get free tutorilas pdf files about it or books i should buy to learn and be more ready about it .
Who is Participating?
Reid PalmeiraConnect With a Mentor Telecom EngineerCommented:
the physical work on cable installation is pretty straightforward. Start with Wikipedia for the technical background. Go to your local bookstore and you can probably find good reference material as well.

The thing about commercial cabling through is making sure you following correct building codes, and those will vary by the types of jobs you're doing and the state you're doing them in. This is stuff like using plenum cable, not PVC for fire safety and stuff like that

it would also be good for you to look at some of the ISO standards  ISO/IEC 11801 for example, which also defines cabling. also stuff like ISO/IEC 14165-114 (fiber) so that you're not limited to the copper cabling but can also do fiber work between IDF's on each floor, has a decent resource for a lot of good overview
Mark DamenERP System ManagerCommented:

568B is the standard that is mostly adhered to.  What you would have in a commercial property if it has been done correctly is this:

A rack mount cabinet of appropriate size, located somewhere convenient.  All of the network points around the building would be wired back to this central cabinet.  The termination on each network point should be RJ45, wired using Cat5e cable and 568B wiring standard.  At the other end of the cable, in the cabinet, it would be terminated on a Patch Panel.  This is a unit which has punch down IDC terminals on the back, and RJ45 connections on the front.  

What you can do with the above setup is very flexible.  You can have a network switch, and something like a telephone system for example mounted below the patch panel(s).  A short Cat5e cable (0.5m) is then used to link between each socket on the patch panel, and either a port on the network switch, or phone system, or other device on your choosing.  

Each network point around the building can therefore be switched for any usage, as and when required.  This method of doing things is what most refer to as "structured cabling".

All that would be required is if you use phones that have an RJ12 or other connection on, is use an adapter at the network point end.  Lots of phone systems now, I like Panasonic ones, have RJ45 connections straight on them.

smurfdesignAuthor Commented:
Thank you for your help
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.