Solved

Blinking yellow light on Dell XPS 600

Posted on 2008-10-11
5
2,700 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-11
I have a Dell XPS600 that shut down out of the blue and will not power back up.  The power LED blinks yellow.  No noise at all is heard when trying to power up (eg no fan noise, or hard drive spinning).  No other lights come on either (eg hard drive LED not lighting up). Computer out of warranty.  Based on Dell site troubleshooting seems like it's a dead power supply.  Do you agree that best option is to order power supply and replace? or is there something else you would recommend?

Thanks!
0
Comment
Question by:galters1
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
5 Comments
 
LVL 5

Accepted Solution

by:
jdcomp earned 65 total points
ID: 22693842
Yes it seems like a power supple issue, do you ahve another PC you can remove the power supply  and test it on your dell before ordering a new one ?

80% chance is power supply and 20% chance is mainboard, usually when the problem is the main board you you still be able to see the fan and hard drive spinning and you are able to open and close you CD/DVD drive
0
 
LVL 15

Assisted Solution

by:hewittg
hewittg earned 60 total points
ID: 22693858
Based on whaat you have described, here are the troubleshooting tips

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps600/en/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1054716

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.


Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).


Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

If the above fails, yes, replace the power supply.

Glenn
0
 

Author Comment

by:galters1
ID: 22730174
Turned out to be the motherboard actually.  Thanks for help.
0
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:squickel
ID: 24172954
I had the same symptoms, and it was also the motherboard.  Not the power supply.
0
 

Expert Comment

by:StevenPoe
ID: 26421601
We also found that an USB device was faulty. Unplug the USB printer and our issue went away. We unplugged each device until we were able to restart the desktop. It was an Optiplex 520 desktop
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction: When experiencing some peculiar problem with the functioning of your PC, how many times has it happened that you look for a solution and even google can’t help? It could be that you are one of the only few people on earth who ma…
On Beyond Tools A conversation I recently had with the DevOps manager of a major online retailer really made me think about DevOps monitoring tools (https://www.onpage.com/devops-incident-management-tool/). The manager and I discussed how sever…
The viewer will learn how to successfully create a multiboot device using the SARDU utility on Windows 7. Start the SARDU utility: Change the image directory to wherever you store your ISOs, this will prevent you from having 2 copies of an ISO wit…
The viewer will learn how to successfully download and install the SARDU utility on Windows 7, without downloading adware.

615 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question