System Crash :: Win XP Home :: Maxtor HD :: SOS
Posted on 2008-10-11
I've spent several hours now researching and trying "fixes" but nothing seems to resolve my problem.
OS: Win XP Home
HD: Maxtor 200GB HD (about 3-4 yrs old)
MB: Gigabyte GA 8IPE1000 Rev 4
I did a complete reformat and reinstall of windows. Reinstalled all of my applications (norton, excel, etc, etc)... PC was running OK. No issues.
I was restoring some files from an external drive, and the PC (as usual) froze up. So I decided to flip the power switch (which I normally do out of complete frustration and "non responding" apps.
1) Upon rebooting, I was greeted with an error: "A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" Of course I tried this to my suprise- it did not work!
2) So my next step was to check my BIOS, and ensure the boot order was correct - for some reason it was not??? So I switched it to the correct order: HD, CDROM, Floppy (1,2,3) in that order. Resolved nothing.
3) So then, from the BIOS I selected "Fail Safe" defaults - was feeling hopeless. Did not work.
4) Went into BIOS and selected CDROM as the 1st boot. The tried to resinstall Windows. BUT IT CANNOT FIND A HARD DRIVE ON MY PC!! And when I tried to select a drive (which none were availble on the Install partition screed). I got the blue screen of death:
"A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."
5) I tried to reintall and format several times. No luck.
6) I tried to boot from the Maxtor install disk. Just takes me to a page to select boot from CD or Floppy, but nothing happens when I hit F or C..
I am totally lost on this. And just wasted 2 days reinstalling all of my software - now looks like I might need to do it all again???
This is my work PC, so it's a bit distressing :(
Thanks for any advice or assistance.