Good emails from a couple of users get stuck in the Local Delivery Queue

Posted on 2008-10-14
Last Modified: 2012-05-05
I have some emails that are stuck in the Local Delivery. Those are not emails coming from blacklisted servers. The mail server is configured to be protected from the spammers and all users are receiving their emails correctly, excepted for a few emails. Here is what I find in the logs: - [13/Oct/2008:14:39:19 -0800] "EHLO -? SMTP" 250 315 - [13/Oct/2008:14:39:19 -0800] "MAIL -? From:<sender Email> SMTP" 250 39 - [13/Oct/2008:14:39:19 -0800] "RCPT -? To:<our> SMTP" 250 0 - [13/Oct/2008:14:39:34 -0800] "DATA -? <196AD2F0702EAA4294595E45435A706D139869@their local mail server.local> SMTP" 250 146

I see nothing wrong with the messages coming from this customer, this customer DNSReport looks fine, our too, but it does stay stuck in the queue.

Anyone has any ideas?
Question by:rdore
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 15

Assisted Solution

tenaj-207 earned 100 total points
ID: 22719108
The log you posted looks fine.

As far as why it's stuck in the queue there are a couple of possibilities.

1) If it's Yahoo then this is a common occurrence, for some reason Yahoo can take up to 15 min before it accepts some email
2) Somethings wrong with the receiving server (maybe you need them to white list you)
3) Something is wrong with a minor setting on your server that the receiving server doesn't like.  For example if your sending email from X.X.X.23 but you receive mail on X.X.X.22 then even though your reverse DNS matches up it still causes issues.  Or maybe you need to create an SPF record.

So the resolutions will hopefully be one of the following

1) If it is Yahoo, or some site that holds your email for awhile before it goes through then they are probably using a tactic called gray listing and you need to request that they put you on their spam filter.
2) Create an SPF record.  If you don't know how to create an SPF record here's a link that does it for you.
3) Double check your settings on your server.

It would be useful if you posted a bounce back.  Are any emails bouncing back?

One last note.  If you're running Windows 2003 SBS R2 then the version of exchange is 2003 SBS not standard.  The difference is that SBS uses wizards to do most things and standard requires more manual configuration.

Author Comment

ID: 22721560
Thanks for your answer.

The are not using Yahoo, or th eemail is not from Yahoo. Mesasges are from a in-house mail server.

We do not have a SPF record. Our ISP is speakeasy, but nowhere in the tracking of email sent or received, do I see any reference to their mail server ( If I would be to create a SPF record, according to your link, I would be putting domain, right?

Accepted Solution

rdore earned 0 total points
ID: 22723299
I got Microsoft support invlolved and they were very helpfull and the problem is solve. It turns out that when messages get stuck in the Local Delivery Queue and those look like legitimate email, one of the place to look is corruption in the DB.
The Engineer made me Dismount the DB, then copy the DB and its log files to a temp Folder. Then Mount the DB, recreating a new store. After that, going to the Queue and do a force on each messages to connect. All the emails were then send to the users without problems.

We then used the Mail Box recovery to merge the old DB insto the new one, and voila, it is all working.

When the old DB is being recover, all the mailbox are inspected and corruption is remove.


Author Comment

ID: 22723319
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 22723405
Yeah... I was going to suggest that next. :)

Glad you got it fixed, and sorry I wasn't more help.

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
A couple of months ago we ran into an issue that necessitated re-creating our Edge Subscriptions. However, when we attempted to execute the command: New-EdgeSubscription -filename C:\NewEdgeSub_01.xml we received an error indicating that the LDAP se…
In this video we show how to create an Address List in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Organization >> Ad…
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.
Suggested Courses

624 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question