Solved

Unable to access OWA via https

Posted on 2008-10-15
3
1,081 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
I have Exchange Server 2007 running on Windows 2008.  I've been using Outlook Web Access with a purchased SSL certificate for a couple of months now.  It has been working fine.  A few days ago it stopped working.  After a couple hours of messing around, I found that I could still access OWA via the non-secure http site.  However, when using https, the browser just says it can't open the page and no activity shows up in the IIS logs on the server.
I had rebooted the server about three or four hours before this problem developed - which initially made me think some service wasn't working.  Looking at the IIS logs, I found that a user had sucessfully used OWA a couple of hours after I had rebooted though.  
I can't find anything in the Event logs - other than an Exchange error regarding certificates and STARTTLS (or something like that), but those messages date back well before the problem.
I also turned off the server firewall for a few moments to make sure it wasn't a firewall issue.
I'm not sure where to look next.
0
Comment
Question by:dalevv
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
Paranormastic earned 500 total points
ID: 22720423
Double check that IIS still has OWA with SSL enabled and that the certificate still shows up as being present.
Is it possible that the successful logon was to the non-secure site?
Open up the cert and make sure that it still reports as being valid and that on the general tab it shows that you have the associated private key message (near the bottom)
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:dalevv
ID: 31506261
I actually solved this before I read your response - but since your response would probably have led me in the same direction, I'm giving you the points. Thanks for your time!
0
 

Author Comment

by:dalevv
ID: 22723498
I ended up doing two things - I'm not sure which solved it.  First I exported my SSL certificate, removed it, and re-imported it.  Then I went to the bindings on the webmail site and found that there was no certificate bound for it.  I don't know if that was because I had just deleted and re-added it, or if that was the problem all along.  In any event, I re-selected my webmail certificate and then it started working.
0

Featured Post

Does Powershell have you tied up in knots?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
After hours on line I found a solution which pointed to the inherited Active Directory permissions . You have to give/allow permissions to the "Exchange trusted subsystem" for the user in the Active Directory...
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
This video shows how to quickly and easily add an email signature for all users on Exchange 2016. The resulting signature is applied on a server level by Exchange Online. The email signature template has been downloaded from: www.mail-signatures…

726 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question