Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1948
  • Last Modified:

Annoying Square Boxes in Actuate Report output in PDF Preview

Hi,
I am generating a actuate report from siebel 8 public sector thin client. The report looks good when viewed in the immediate siebel report viewer window. But when i choose to print the report, the report preview is opened in a PDF document with the print dialog window popped automatically.

My problem is that in the PDF preview, I am seeing square boxes (that are not in the siebel actuate report viewer window). My report contains arabic characters in it.

Please help.

Thanks,
Venkat R.
0
venkatraman_r
Asked:
venkatraman_r
  • 5
  • 3
2 Solutions
 
PHeadlandCommented:
It sounds like you are not embedding the font in your PDF document. Unfortunately, PDF often needs to have the font embedded to display characters from languages such as Arabic.

The Actuate documentation on working with multiple languages/locales explains what you need to do to set up font embedding.
0
 
venkatraman_rAuthor Commented:
The PDF is getting generated after i select the print button in actuate reports. I also tried opening a 50 page arabic document in pdf and it all opened good. The issue is only when the pdf is getting opened from the print command in siebel actuate viewer.

I did not find the documentation much useful to address this issue. I will try again anyway.

Thanks,
Venkat.
0
 
PHeadlandCommented:
You will need to edit cjk.cong and pdffont.map in your iServer's "etc" folder. The documentation tells you what to do in those files. Note that you will need two lines in cjk.conf if you want to embed a subset (note that you have to use uppercase here):

VENKATSFONT   :  embed
VENKATSFONT   :  subset

In pdffont.map you will have something like this (note that the font name and font file name has no spaces and is probably case sensitive):

VenkatsFont     VENKAT.TTF

You can find the font file name in \Windows\Fonts use (View->Details to display the file names)
0
Visualize your virtual and backup environments

Create well-organized and polished visualizations of your virtual and backup environments when planning VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Veeam deployments. It helps you to gain better visibility and valuable business insights.

 
venkatraman_rAuthor Commented:
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I verified the documentation and also checked the 2 config files you have mentioned above. The PDF*.map file had all the fonts referenced. My report uses the Arial font and I added the embed and subset for ARIAL font in the cjk file. But i get the error like 'Critical Error - PDFCreator cannot render font....'

Unfortunately there is no change reflected in the report. I saved the PDF file locally and checked the font properties and it gave the following details - Please see the enclosed image. I have the Arial family in the PDF*.map and cjk conf file, but not the ACA904+Arial (Embedded) font.

I could not find the ACA904+Arial (Embedded) file locally though in the reports server Not sure how it gets used while generating the report.

Thanks for any further assistance.

- Venkat.



font-issue.bmp
0
 
PHeadlandCommented:
From what you say, it sounds like Siebel doesn't use Actuate's PDF generation mechanism at all. It seems as if Siebel is using the open source PDFCreator library. I don't know anything about that library - it has nothing to do with Actuate.
0
 
venkatraman_rAuthor Commented:
Yeah - you may be correct - because the server in which actuate is installed, does not have adobe installed. As a last chance I will try installing adobe in the reports server machine and will check if can fix anything.

I will update this post if the adobe installation fixes it.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Venkat.
0
 
venkatraman_rAuthor Commented:
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I tried the following options:
1. Adobe installation - did not help.
2. Chaning the root report parameter - internationalization to 'RU' - one of my friend suggested to do this, this too did not fix the issue.

Still trying to check if there is any other option.

Regards,
Venkat.
0
 
venkatraman_rAuthor Commented:
Ok - We found a fix  - not sure how it will impact though.

We set the Internationalization > Report Encoding property to UTF8 and the report appeared properly in the generated pdf report. But we get lots of square boxes.

Thanks for your help and kindly request the moderator to close the topic and refud the points.

Regards,
Venkat.
0

Featured Post

Efficient way to get backups off site to Azure

This user guide provides instructions on how to deploy and configure both a StoneFly Scale Out NAS Enterprise Cloud Drive virtual machine and Veeam Cloud Connect in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

  • 5
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now