Geforce 9800 not working with windows vista 64-bit - power dips and screen goes blank on start-up
Posted on 2008-10-15
I have just attempted my first PC build.
All components are new and reasonably high spec.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4
RAM - 8gb (4x 2gb) G.Skill PQ Series PC-6400 DDR2
GRAPHICS CARD - Palit GeForce 9800 GT (installed on the PCIE 16 slot)
POWER SUPPLY - Tagan TG-800-U33 Force II v2 800watt
HARD DRIVE - Seagate Barracuda 500gb w/32mb cache
The system seems to work fine using the standard VGA graphics adapter which comes with the operating system and is the driver utilised by safe mode (ie the driver makes no use of the benefits of a high end graphics card or its memory. On the "windows vista experience" index, for example, the graphics only achieves a 1.0 whereas all other components achieve a 5.9).
However, if I install the most up-to-date 64-bit vista driver for the graphics card, on a reboot:
- all starts fine
- the copyright Microsoft notice comes up with the progressing green stripes - the screen then goes blank as normal
- my usb keyboard with backlight starts to power up - again as normal
- then the power momentarily reduces or goes off (you can hear the fans power off for a split second) and then the screen stays blank permanently (with no mouse pointer), but the computer is still running
I can only get the system working again by starting in safe mode, rolling back the graphics driver to the standard safe mode driver, and rebooting.
To me, the fact that the system seems to loose power temporarily just before the screen goes blank (and presumably at the point the graphics card is about to kick in) seems particularly odd.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Checks I have already done:
- made sure the driver is for VISTA 64-bit - I have downloaded the latest driver from the Nvidia site, and from the Palit site. I have also tried the driver that windows automatically picks up as part of a windows update. All give the same result.
- I have tried both DVI outputs from the graphics card on two different new TFT monitors. Same results.
- I have taken the video card out several times and physically reinstalled it making sure connections appear good.
- I have installed a graphics card out of my other PC (Geforce 6800) and this runs fine on the most up to date drivers (although this card was in the PCIE 8 slot on the motherboard rather than the PCIE 16 slot)
- I have tried doing all the above with my fingers crossed
I have now run out of ideas.