Solved

Error: Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine

Posted on 2008-10-15
2
455 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-28
Very stange problem. I have 2 forms in a database in a fron-end / back-end scenario. I'm the only one using the database. Form A and Form B. Form A does not allow editing. I have a button (made using the wizard) that opens the same record in Form B for editing. When I change something in a memo field of a CERTAIN record (not all records) in Form B, I'm unable to save the changes and get the error: Could not update; currently locked by another session on this machine

I've done a fair amount of messing around already. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Repaired and compacted both DBs. (didn't help.)
2. Read this post and tried several things (none of which led me to a solution): http://www.experts-exchange.com/Microsoft/Development/MS_Access/Q_21580646.html?qid=21580646

I've Never seen this before and these forms are NOT doing anything beyond what Access creates with it's Wizards. Everything is generic as can be. No special code, nothing.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
0
Comment
Question by:bandriese
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
2 Comments
 
LVL 9

Assisted Solution

by:borki
borki earned 250 total points
ID: 22729396
Haven't got a solution as you already tried to solve this. Other things to consider:

What version of Access, I have found 2007 behaving strangely. I am thinking of some sort of memory corruption when you write in the memo field, so Access thinks another process has got into the field.

Have you got the latest service pack?

Have you tried to perform the same action on another PC?

Front and Back on the same PC? If not what is the network connection?

Good luck

Felix
0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
bandriese earned 0 total points
ID: 22735731
Access 2003, all latest patches and service packs. Same problem happends on multiple computers. Not an issue with the network. I did figure out that if I removed several lines for the memo field, then everything worked fine. the problem seems to be related to how much content is in the memo field. In this case, maybe a page worth of text and html tags. Well, don't know the cause, but I geuss I found my own solution.
0

Featured Post

Enroll in May's Course of the Month

May’s Course of the Month is now available! Experts Exchange’s Premium Members and Team Accounts have access to a complimentary course each month as part of their membership—an extra way to increase training and boost professional development.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

It’s been over a month into 2017, and there is already a sophisticated Gmail phishing email making it rounds. New techniques and tactics, have given hackers a way to authentically impersonate your contacts.How it Works The attack works by targeti…
Access custom database properties are useful for storing miscellaneous bits of information in a format that persists through database closing and reopening.  This article shows how to create and use them.
Familiarize people with the process of utilizing SQL Server functions from within Microsoft Access. Microsoft Access is a very powerful client/server development tool. One of the SQL Server objects that you can interact with from within Microsoft Ac…
In Microsoft Access, learn how to “cascade” or have the displayed data of one combo control depend upon what’s entered in another. Base the dependent combo on a query for its row source: Add a reference to the first combo on the form as criteria i…

738 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question