HTPC advice for a setup
Posted on 2008-10-16
The wife is not happy with the $200/month cable bill. It includes: internet, phone,3 DVRs, extended cable package (no premium channels), HD service for 2 tvs. I am looking to build a HTPC to 1) save some money 2) to have a more flexible setup. I figure it has to be cheaper than going the cable company's way- at least more flexible. Am I right?
Question: I need to know of a parts list/application list for a setup. Any ideas?
1. need HD support (already have TV's)
2. decent storage
3. quiet operation- I like the HTPC enclosures I see on the market now.
4. remote control
5. ability to watch in other rooms (does this require a whole new setup per tv??). It would be nice to have the ability to begin a program on on tv and finish on another. Is it possible for a cheaper "node" per extra tv?
6. a central storage for all media, perhaps?
7. Want the better flexibility these HTPC software packages offer. Even if it is just WIN mediacenter. Better suggestions welcome, however.
This HTPC will have access to the home network either wireless or wired. Thinking wired for the base station and maybe wireless for any additional tv's.
Any of you folks have something set up and working?
Thanks for any advice.