How do i create an image of an XP hdd to a Vista pc

Hello i have a lot of data and legacy software on an XP machine and have recently bought a new Vista machine.  I wanted to know if there is a way i can ghost an XP drive with lets say Norton Ghost and copy it over to a Vista PC.  The hardware, hdd space, and OS are different on each PC.  Some of the software might not even work on Vista (which isnt a concern because we can created a virtualized enviroment)

Thanks for the help.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Are you transfering files and applications from xp to vista? Or do you just want to make the files available to vista?
khaji00Author Commented:
I would prefer to transfer applications and files because some of the software is legacy and proprietary.  The software is saved in a database and not individual files.  I could hook up an external hard drive and individually transfer files.

I'm basically migrating data from a old pc to a new pc, and i want the best way of doing it.  I dont have the discs or know where to find my legacy software from.
You can transfer files, settings, user accounts among other things with Windows Easy Transfer, a free tool from Microsoft. You can download it from here:

And fond more information about it here:

Let me know if you need more information.
Cloud Class® Course: Certified Penetration Testing

This CPTE Certified Penetration Testing Engineer course covers everything you need to know about becoming a Certified Penetration Testing Engineer. Career Path: Professional roles include Ethical Hackers, Security Consultants, System Administrators, and Chief Security Officers.

Windows Easy Transfer will only move settings from existing programs meaning that the program will need to be installed on both computers. Another solution will be Laplink's PC Mover. "PC Mover" will actually move the software and registry entries that go along with that software. The downside is that it costs $50. You can find it here:

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
khaji00Author Commented:
thank you for the prompt response, this is exactly what i was looking for
khaji00Author Commented:
gbarrientos thank you for the information, it was helpful and i will be using it in the future, althought PC Mover is more the solution i needed.

Thanks again experts.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Legacy OS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.