Problem: When I switch users in Win XP, the switch appears normal, until I try to run an application such as IE, Acrobat, and nothing happens, cursor moves but is hourglass as though waiting for app to start, but it doesnt, and nothing else can be done. If application launch is attempted from Start Menu, the Start Menu remains displayed no matter what. Only solution is to crash computer and restart, logging directly into the desired user account. Its a single user machine effectively (unless use log-off instead of switching). Does not matter whether its a limited or admin account, or which order they are approached.
The problem is recent (few weeks), and I cant attribute to any event I can think of.
Background: Possibly relevant inforamtion may be in the following history:
In July I clean reinstalled Windows XP (onto newly formatted HDD), plus applications I wished to continue with. Worked fine, two other apps were installed recently but no problems noticed at that time (other than a WinRAR program changed the icons of zipped folders which I detested.).
1. I uninstalled Nero 8 using Program Add/Remove.
2. Nortons AntiVirus 2007 (NAV) would not work (ZoneAlarm Pro warned me that there was no virus protection). Im really unsure if this was associated with the Nero uninstall.
3. I could not get NAV to work, neither could I reinstall without getting the remaining bits out, nor could I uninstall using Programs Change/Remove: module could not be found said Windows Program Remove
4. While doing this, XP locked up on the account login page, cursor frozen. Did this on successive reboots. I fixed this by rebooting in safe mode and using system restore to go to a previously OK date. That got me running again.
5. NAV still did not work.
6. Next noticed that when switching users it started OK, but froze (cursor went to hour-glass) when any application was started either from a desktop shortcut, or the Start Menu (lower left, which froze up), or double clicking a file icon. Crashing computer and restarting into desired account got that account to work, i.e. reboot or log-off to change accounts. (this is the problem I am consulting on)
7. System restored fully back to the date of completing the clean reinstall of XP and applications.
8. NAV still did not work (it did on the date of the actual install and for some time afterwards, suggesting System Restore is not perfect?).
9. Obtained Dave Taylors procedure to uninstall; (http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_my_pc.html
), Got rid of all of Norton/Symantec following these instructions. Still cannot switch between accounts without restarting (does not seem to matter whether its an admin account or a restricted account).
10. Computer does not close down reliably either, often needing crashing fro somewhere in the closedown procedure.
11. This may be an escalation of a long standing problem I have got used to, which is that shutdown is interrupted by a message from the Scheduled Agent: Access violation at address 00403310 in module Scheduled.exe. Read of address FFFFFFFC., by clicking OK it continues and completes shutdown. This irritation remained even after the clean install of XP. I add here in case it is relevant.
Any help please?